Welcome to John's Blog World...

Welcome to my little sharing space--where I come to showcase some of my custom projects and to share "how-to" info with others out there. As a lifelong "maker", design enthusiast, and design professor, this blog explains some of the little projects I occasionally throw myself into, with the intent that I may help inspire others toward self-actualization and to show them how easy it really is to construct and realize their own ideas and dreams. As Brancusi said, "Create like a god, work like a slave."

Friday, October 08, 2010

Leather Case Construction--Part 3: Trimming and Finishing

This post demonstrates some simple techniques for trimming the stitched leather case shown in previous posts. However, some of these cutting methods can be used with just about any thick, flexible materials similar to leather. Before going hog-wild with the cutting, I prefer to mark out the places where I'll be cutting just to make sure the shape of my cuts look right. When cutting into leather, there are no Ctrl-Z keystrokes to undo mistakes, so I map things out first to save myself the hassle of trying to turn "lemon"-craftsmanship into an overall mediocre, "lemonade" project. When working with dark colored leathers, a white colored pencil works well to draw up all the cut marks, and it erases relatively easily with a polymer eraser. Conversely, light colored leathers can be marked with a dark colored pencil. Regardless of the color of leather, I try to keep my guidelines light (though legible) so I can erase them quickly if I need to make changes. In the photo below, you can see the shape of the hole on the front for the screen, as well as the dimple through which I can access the power button through the securement strap (which will wrap around to the back), and then a little shaping for the end of the strap as well. I've left out the holes for the camera (which I'd rather just leave covered up unless I really have to take a low-res picture while I'm out 'n about). My little point-n-shoot Canon takes better pics than any iPod, iPhone, or web-cam I've seen yet (which shows the difference between specialized hardware verses the "hey, why don't we put a camera in it, too" mentality that so many marketing-pushed electronics have these days). Plus, if I have the lens covered, I won't have to listen to that nagging "big-brother" fear in the back of my mind that figures Apple could secretly see at all times if they wanted to (though I'm sure that they've got better things to do than watch me sketch, play Pac-Man, and pick my nose).
On the back of the case, I put marks for a slight cut that will provide additional access to the power button, along with an opening on the back panel so I can easily push out the iPod when I want to remove it. I've also put in marks for the headphone and cable connector at the bottom. The other control buttons on the device can still be pressed through the case, so I decided to leave them off for simpler cutting and an overalls cleaner aesthetic.  
For basic cuts through single layers of leather, I just used a pair of sharp scissors.
For straight cuts, I used, a straight-edge ruler. Here I'm using an X-acto knife (though a utility knife will work as well) to do the damage. I always use mat board or a cutting mat beneath my blade so I don't gouge into the table top--which helps keep my wife happy. It usually takes multiple passes with the knife to get through the leather (unless it's really thin), so I try not to move the straight edge at all as I make one cut after another on the same line. When cutting next to the stitches, I try to leave about 1/8 of an inch so I don't cut into the threaded holes.
 The finished edge cuts looked like this:
To finish the corners I just used the scissors. The scissors tend to work well with rounded outside curves.
Next, to help with the cuts into the front and back panels of the case, I made an insert from mat board (similar to the one I used to form the wet leather for the case in a previous post) and slid it into the case. This gives a good firm surface to cut into, making clean cuts more attainable.
Using the X-acto blade, I cut out the power button access at the opening at the case...
...and then cut out the access hole on the back. It takes a steady hand to make sure these cuts come out smooth, so that gives me yet another reason to lay off the caffeine.
For the screen opening on the front of the case, I wanted slightly rounded corners, so I started by popping a hole in each corner with a hole punch and hammer.
 I then used the blade and ruler to connect the outside tangent edges of those holes, and then completely cut out the scrap.
To get the holes ready for the dot snaps, I used the hole punch and a hammer again.
I then fit the dot snap post into that hole...
...and put the anvil (flat side up) in beneath it.
The snap then went over the post...
...and the setter locked the post and snap in place with a good couple wallops from the hammer.
The finished dot snaps (at least one half of them) looked like this:
 I then punched holes in the strap, put the round-headed posts through the hole...
 ...positioned the anvil behind it (with the dished side of the anvil up)...
 ...and then put the dot snap over the post.
A couple firm pounds on the setter with the hammer...
...and, shazam!...instant snaps for my sassy case strap. It's probably a good idea to put some felt on the inside of the snaps where they meed the iPod inside the case--they can cause scratching over time. I just put a piece of tape over them instead since nobody every actually looks inside the case. (I know that's a design "cheat", but it works. So deal with it.)
After sliding in the iPod, you can see how super-duper-sexy the whole case looked (even with some of its minor imperfections).
It looks classy from the back, with a strap included for more secure holding...
...and from the front it looks like something I spent good money on. If you don't count the cost of the tools (which I never do, since I usually use them on unknown numbers of future projects and "amortize" their cost over lengthy amounts of time), this little case cost all of about 3 to 4 bucks in leather and thread, plus some nominal costs for the scrap mat board and other supplies.
 I'm currently making a little case in which my portable hard drive will be permanently stitched, which I may post in a bit, too. Once you've got a good setup for forming, stitching, and trimming leather, it's fairly easy to pop these bad-boys out real quick-like. Given the time it takes me to make a case like this, I could feasibly make one of these little guys each night after work (assuming all other important responsibilities were minimized). As life goes, though, my short nights tend to be filled with a frenetic juggling act that shoe-horns one project after another in between the disparate activities of intermittent diaper changes, entertaining a couple toddlers, and giving my wife an adult listening ear and occasional shoulder rub. But I guess it's all those little loving activities that round me out more than I'd otherwise be if I were left to my own devices--most likely regressing into a sad, lonely life as a design hermit who would spend all his time locked away in the shop, so deeply engrossed in projects that he'd waste only enough time to eat the bare minimum allowable sustenance required for basic physiological survival. (Basically, I'd probably turn into a design Gollum..."design, preciouuus". Ick.) Good balance works much better for me. And it feels much less selfish.
At any rate, I hope these little demo's and ramblings are of benefit to the other hopelessly creative-types who I know are out there. Keep designing, keep building. And rock on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this information and Very good looking blog.
The Cobbleroad