Welcome to John's Blog World...

Welcome to my little sharing space--where I come to showcase some of my custom projects and to share "how-to" info with others out there. As a lifelong "maker", design enthusiast, and design professor, this blog explains some of the little projects I occasionally throw myself into, with the intent that I may help inspire others toward self-actualization and to show them how easy it really is to construct and realize their own ideas and dreams. As Brancusi said, "Create like a god, work like a slave."

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Composites Fabrication -- My Shameless Plug

I really really really like composites. Fiberglass, carbon fiber, Kevlar...you name it. I've been a big fan since I first found out that composites were used in exotic supercars with rockin' performance--which means I've been interested in them since I was a kid. I've always loved concept cars (since they're the whole reason to go to the big yearly car shows, right?), but was always upset that the mass-manufactured models of those cars never looked they way they did on the rotating platforms at the show. When I was in high school, I figured that the only way I'd ever get a hold of a "concept" car of my own was to design and build one myself. And that meant I'd have to learn how to build car bodies (and other mechanical, electrical, etc. systems, of course) to do that. After learning about what it takes to make composite bodies, I realized it was within my capabilities as a designer/craftsman, so I set out on a journey to learn, build, and, ultimately, ride my composite creations. It wasn't until I was in college (the first time around), though, that I had any chance to play around with composites, design for them, and really optimize them. And it was at that time that I began to see the possibilities of what could actually be done with composites.
To make a long story short, I've been amassing a lot of information over the past couple decades on how to work with composites. In fact, I've had so much info bumpin' around in my noggin that I decided to write some books on the subject. In academia, we have to do all kinds of publishing to make us look worthwhile to the administration (since the stellar quality of work that comes from our students doesn't look like much on a curriculum vitae, or calculate well into the numbers that the top-of-the-heap bean-counters get all frothy about), so a couple years ago I opted to write a book on composites and share my knowledge with others. It came out in June of 2009 and was titled Composite Materials Fabrication Handbook #1. I aimed the content at those hands-on folks out there who wanted a graphics heavy how-to book with simple projects that they could make in their own cozy workspace. The book has a somewhat basic approach to composites so that even the most apprehensive novice could have some place to start. But, it also contains enough technical "meat" for students to find it worth their while to study from. For that reason, I use it in the composites classes that I teach every summer.
My second book, Composite Materials Fabrication Handbook #2, just came out this week! It's (of course, as stated in the title) the second in a series of composites books that shows more advanced techniques helpful to building composites for high-performance use. I've found that there really aren't that many books out there that discuss (let alone show) some of the ins-and-outs of mold design, moldmaking, compression molding, vacuum-bagging, expandable inserts, and vacuum-assisted resin transfer (VARTM) processes, so I had to throw those into this second book. I think it turned out great!
Having been through the laborious process of writing these two how-to books, I have an even greater appreciation for all those other authors out there who aim to truly educate readers on topics of substance rather than just entertain them with cutesy fictional stories (although such books have their place, I know). I just hope that there are lots of people out there who can benefit from these books...and who can find their creativity opened up to these non-traditional materials. They really are within the reach of the average builder. And once you get working with them, you may just get hooked, like I did.
So, check out my books!
That's my shameless plug for the day.
Enjoy.  

1 comment:

mlebagley said...

I'm so glad you finally got the second book finished and published! Excellent news. I'm missing your face on the cover of the second one, but I'll get over it. Congrats on getting it done!